Backcountry Lodges Tonquin Valley AdventuresThe Wilderness Vacation of a Lifetime

All trips with Tonquin Valley Adventures include accommodation, meals

What to bring on Horseback Trips

The Tonquin Valley is a high mountain area, subject to variable weather conditions. Guests should bring:

  • Warm practical clothing (fleece or wool)
  • Wind proof coat or jacket
  • Rain Gear and waterproof footwear (please no ponchos or rain capes)
  • Light gloves and a hat
  • Sunglasses, suntan lotion and insect repellent
  • Personal articles, including a small flashlight or penlight
  • Camera digital memory cards or film
  • Water Bottle
  • Trout weight fishing fly rod or spinning tackle (for anglers)

Clothing and personal items should be packed in a soft carry-on size bag. Limit your gear to 20 pounds per person. Guests wanting to bring more than 20 lbs. of gear must notify us in advance (additional fees apply).

What Hikers should bring

  • Warm clothing (fleece is best)
  • Breathable rain gear
  • Comfortable footwear (waterproof)
  • Hat and gloves
  • Sunglasses, suntan lotion and insect repellent
  • Bear spray
  • Personal items
  • Flashlight and camera
  • Water Bottle
  • Fishing gear (optional)

Tonquin Valley Adventures recommed that guests carry bear spray whenever hiking in Jasper National Park. You can buy or rent the spray at several retail outlets in Jasper.


In order to secure a reservation a non-refundable deposit of 50% the trip price is required. The balance is due 30 days prior departure. All prices are quoted in Canadian Funds. The 5% GST is not included in the price.


Gratuities are customary and very much appreciated.

Group size

Maximum group size for horseback trips is 8. Maximum Lodge capacity is 20. Exclusive camp bookings are available with advance notice.


All horseback and guided guests will be required to sign a waiver of risk. We recommend purchasing travel, health and cancellation insurance.

National Park Regulations

All anglers must be in possession of a valid National Park Fishing Licence.